Friday, July 22, 2016

Mama Update

This is a harder one to write that monthly updates on the kids.

This has been a hard, hard year. I think Calliope's transition to PreK, and especially to commuting with me, was in many ways harder than being a working parent to two. Mornings weren't so bad but afternoons, while she was tired (and I was too) were draining. I felt like I had to drag her out of the school building and to the car each day, then coax her out of the car at the other end. Errands on the way home were a near impossibility. Having to rush through my work to get her, or leave work for the next day, was exhausting, especially with the implementation of an electronic medical record which slowed my pace considerably.

And then... summer arrived. I feel like I can breathe again. I feel like MYSELF again for the first time, after so many months of battling what might have been a mix of depression and anxiety but might also have been total exhaustion from what felt like a daily sprint from 5:30 am to 6:30 pm each day.

I'm exercising every day. I'm sleeping enough. Usually. I'm enjoying my girls. Mostly. I'm eating so much less! What is it about racing through the day that makes me so hungry???

I'm trying to brainstorm ways to slow the pace next year. I'm going to try Bethany's idea of Mason Jar salads. Maybe having a fabulous fresh meal each day at lunch will help me recharge. I'm hiring a babysitter 2-3 afternoons a week to pick Calliope (and Eleanor) up from school so that I can travel alone and do an errand if needed and otherwise enjoy not cajoling and pleading someone to keep moving. I'm also going to have the sitter stay late 1-2 Friday nights a week so I can go out from work and catch a movie or dinner.

And I'm trying to soak up every last bit rest and relaxation. It's taken me a couple weeks to get used to a slower pace -- at first, Amy and I were racing around, filling every last moment with activities, cleaning, cooking and preparing for the next activity. This week we have my friend Jen and her daughter Luna here and we are enjoying a much slower pace. It's easy for me to start feeling restless... I have to remind myself that this is what summer is for!

I'm hoping, somehow, that I can retain some memory of this slower pace when the school year begins. Fingers crossed!

4 comments:

  1. I feel you on the EMR slowing things down!

    Your summer sounds like it's been exactly what you need. Healthy eating, exercise and sleep...why are they so hard to come by in a regular work week? I hope the babysitting option helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I so relate to the added stress of commuting with your kid! As an Introvert (needing a bit of time on your own every day to recharge/go with in), as I suspect you might be?, not having that transition time in the car added to hectic transitions would take a lot more energy! Glad you are relaxing into the summer - sending "go with the flow" vibes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your vacation is going well!! I think hiring the afternoon sitter to pick up C is a GREAT idea. Having the morning sitter for myself is a huge stress-relief. it only takes her taking one morning off to remind me why I spend that money :)

    And good job on the exercise and eating!! I wish I could say I was doing as well as you.

    ReplyDelete