Thursday, May 30, 2019

Sleep Consultant In Training

I am nearing the end of my four-month course to become a pediatric sleep consultant and I'm so excited! I'm studying with the Family Sleep Institute and it's no small project to get certified. But it's so exciting to be learning something new, complementary but different than what I used to do, after thirteen years in my old job as a school based pediatric nurse practitioner.

It also feels very strange to be a newbie again.

I have to do three case studies, helping families with children of varying ages. But I ended up accepting four families so that I could get as much experience as I could. I created a Google form -- I never knew such a thing existed -- and got eight responses from families interested in a pro-bono sleep consultation. I completed my first intake nine days ago, my only in-person one (required by the program to do at least one in person). I can see now that I did so many things wrong. I got way too bogged down in the nitty gritty and didn't do enough motivational interviewing, getting the family psyched up.

Yet to my amazement, this 2y11m old child is night-weaned and on her way to sleeping in her own bed all night long! I feel like I got very lucky with this first case but it has built my confidence tremendously and now I've intentionally picked a particularly challenging case to work on while I still have lots of support from classmates and instructors.

I'm hoping to finish my case studies before we leave Mexico for the States in late June though it's not due until mid July. But I feel like it will be too hard to be consistently productive while we are on the road.

Realistically, I doubt I'll do much with it over the summer unless folks initiate contact with me, but as soon as the girls go back to school at the end of August, I plan to throw myself into learning all the aspects of running my own business. Including marketing myself. Gulp. I hope to especially target sleep deprived SMCs because I know what it's like to be doing this alone, without family help, and how frustrating it is to be advised to "hand the baby to Dad and go to bed early!"

In an ideal world, I would love to combine this work with a couple of days, or even half days, of clinical work, keeping my hand in the water with pediatrics too, just in case. But working in Mexico is tricky, where nurse practitioner licenses aren't recognized. I have a lead on a job but I'm just not sure I want to pursue it. Or if I should prioritize this business.

But it's exciting to feel busier and more focused!

4 comments:

  1. How exciting! Congrats on this meaningful career shift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I thank you EVERY SINGLE NIGHT when my son snoozes away in his bed while I read a book and unwind. Your support really helped me! I think you are on such a great track!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all is well! Miss your blog posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please permit me  to use this medium to share my story, i will be brief. i started dating a married man early last year, he told me he and his wife had issues that the marriage was working, no love in marriage that both party are fed up. He will divorce
    her not because of me but for his own sanity but months went by without anything to that effect. I became worried for i have fallen helplessly in love with him but this story were getting too much so i decided to act fast before it became too late for i am pregnant
    for him and i wanted stability for my child. Long story short i met with a spell castor he promised me result within a week and i promised him if it came to pass i will spread the word online. I am taking my time to recommend nakodako@outlook.com to all does
    that wants the following;

    1. Get one's ex lover back
    2. Make your crush for in love with you
    3. Good luck charm
    4. Reincarnation

    I am in a loving marriage with my love thanks to Dako, i owe it to him to make this publicity.

    ReplyDelete