Friday, May 13, 2016

Another Small Milestone

Lest Calliope's milestones get lost amongst the more noteworthy one's of Amelie's... at long last, Calliope learned to skip today!

Only she and her pal Peyton couldn't skip amongst her school friends, and her best friend Eleanor has been skipping for well over a year now. Calliope really struggled with feeling left behind. I watched a YouTube video on how to teach it, and had broken down the steps for her. We practiced a few times recently but it hadn't stuck yet.

And then today, I picked her up from her classroom and she skipped down the hall. Just like that. Without saying a word.

She's still not perfect at it, but the pride evident in her beaming smile says it all.


And here she is, proud of her latest creation.


Her teacher casually commented to me yesterday, "this girl has so many friends now. It's amazing to see the change in her."

My heart burst with pride. Calliope was so quiet and reserved for so many months, and I certainly wasn't disappointed with her, but now... she's learned to connect with lots of different people, both adults and children. I'm so happy for her. This is so such a wonderful ability to have.

And she spent yesterday's entire puppet show performance in her teacher's lap, so nervous about the Wicked Witch of the West... well, it's good to be able to ask for help. I'm so grateful to her loving teacher for sensing Calliope's concern and offering her lap a day in advance of the show -- we had it all planned out ahead of time.

I'm also bursting with pride with my littler one, who is getting very, very good at standing unsupported but seems, at nearly 14 months, to be in no rush to walk. All in good time. I've no doubt she knows what she's doing. And that, also, my life is about to get much more challenging when she walks.


Another amazing hairstyle by her devoted nanny. I think I should start calling her Sprocket.


No comments:

Post a Comment