Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Compliments From Calliope

Calliope last night, "Mommy, you're SOOOOO fat."

Me, recoiling slightly but trying to hide it, "Honey, people don't usually like to be told they're fat."

C, "But why not???" (She aspires to being fat when she grows up. And black. With corn rows. I'm not optimistic on her behalf.)

Me, "it's just better not to comment on people's  bodies." (Trying not to introduce the idea of fat being bad.)

C, "Ok."

<Pause.>

C, "Mommy, you look just like a princess!"

Me: <Sigh> 

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, kids say the darnedest things! When I was her age I went to a predominantly black pre-school and used to tell my mother I wanted to be black, too. Never did get my wish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That conversation is great!! At least she has no limits to her aspirations! :)

    ReplyDelete