Monday, January 7, 2019

Keto Update 5, Part Two: The End of the Fast






































I made it to forty hours! 

I'm pretty excited because I want to take part in moderated fasting events through FB starting Monday and the first one is forty-eight hours. So I wanted to see how close I could get. Getting past the forty-hour mark feels significant.

So I was disappointed that bone broth derailed me last night, and that I ate a few almonds as a result, but I'm proud that I powered through anyway and I assume I got most of the benefits of fasting anyway? In any case, nothing I can do about it now. Onwards and upwards.

I was worried I would have trouble sleeping but I actually slept amazingly well and woke up feeling really good, just thirsty. But not particularly hungry. I made the mistake of stepping on the scale and I had actually gained 2 kg! I measured my belly though and it's down about 1.5 inches from when I first measured. It's just a piece of floss so I don't actually know how big my circumference is in inches.

I noticed my bra is a little baggy in addition to my underwear.

I'm trying to stay off the scale as long as I can, now! At least until after I get my period -- PMS always makes me extra hungry AND retain fluid.

I decided to end my fast at 1 pm and felt like I could eat a horse! I started with some smoked salmon and cream cheese, then made leftover spinach, mushroom and brie "crepes" (made with almond flour and lots of egg). I also made ninety-second keto microwave mug "bread." I could only eat one crepe, to my amazement, though I ate extra spinach and mushroom plus the whole microwave mug bread. I finished it off with a decadent square of Lindt 90% dark chocolate. Yum.

Keto spinach, mushroom, and brie crepes
I'm hoping to eat again in about five hours, and to squeeze a workout in before our friends come over for a family slumber party. After dinner I hope to fast eighteen hours and eat within a six hour window tomorrow... and then do my first ever group, moderated fast. The schedule is a forty-eight hour fast on Monday and Friday and a twenty-four hour fast on Wednesday, with an 18:6 fasting/eating schedule in between. Looking at the schedule, the hardest part may be getting only one meal after the forty-eight hour fast before launching into a twenty-four.

The other slightly complicated thing is that I don't want to end a fast at 9 pm -- not a good time for a big meal! So I have to be thoughtful about when to start my fasts.



Forty-eight hour fasts on Monday and Friday with a twenty-four hour on Wed. And only one meal between the forty-eight and the twenty-four. Yikes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment