Monday, January 7, 2019

Keto Update Six: First Forty-Eight Hour Fast

Nearly eighteen hours fasted!
(Ignore the goal -- I don't know how to adjust it on a daily basis
so it's set for my standard day of 16:8 fasting to eating.)









































(I forgot to publish the last post so that's why it looks like I just ended it today but it actually ended two days ago.)

Today I am trying a moderated fast, my first! There's a whole group of us on a FB site that are all following the same schedule all week, with the caveat that we are spread around the globe so everyone is in a different place in her fast. But it's still cool to have company! I really wish I had a fasting buddy. I have a couple keto buddies and it's so helpful but so far they don't fast. I think for me, with PCOS and also with having a relatively small amount to lose but a stubborn metabolism, the fasting will be necessary. Either that or I have an obsessive personality and can't do anything halfway. Probably both!

Unfortunately, I ate some non-keto food last night. Leftover pigs in blankets from Saturday night. I just didn't have the mental energy to resist.

But I am being kind to myself and I can see that I really needed that, mentally. And so I will try to remember and not be frustrated when the scale isn't moving steadily downward as I would like. Changing one's way of eating so drastically is not easy! When I think about the fact that I am attempting to fast forty-eight hours today, and to fast three times in total this week, I am amazed! I would have never considered this a few short months ago.

So if it's two steps forward, one step back, or even the reverse... I am still progressing overall.

Today I am also not drinking Ultima (electrolyte solution) but instead, am drinking water with apple cider vinegar and salt. Fasting makes people lose a lot of water and also electrolytes. Failing to replace the salt can cause water retention. Clearly, I don't want that! But I am surprised to find that water with apple cider vinegar and salt is surprisingly tasty!

I went to my first Piloxing class this morning since our vacation and it was TOUGH but also felt really good. I could see my workout shirt was noticeably baggier, which was nice. (I'm working hard not to think that it might have been baggier still a few days ago.) As a New Year's resolution I've started doing at least five push-ups off the bathroom counter every time I use the bathroom, and to do a few quick biceps curls at least once a day and I can also see more definition in my shoulders which is nice.

I'm currently almost eighteen hours into my fast! I'm kind of glad it's almost time to go get the girls and then sit in a dance studio for a while. It will be a good distraction. Thinking too much about this makes it harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment