Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Keto Update Three (A Few Days Old) and Puerto Morelos





Five cousins



We are headed home from our all inclusive in Puerto Morelos with my brother’s family.

We had a wonderful time. Amazingly drama free. Very slow paced and occasionally I felt antsy but mostly it was great. His kids are 10, 3, and almost 2 so combining that with my kids, 3 and 7, that’s a lot of littles — four under 4. All with nap schedules. So we only left the resort once, to go to a crocodile zoo/animal rescue site. It was surprisingly interesting and every group gets a private tour so we learned a lot in a short time. My favorites were the medium sized cats.

Unfortunately, we never got to the village of Puerto Morelos but there’s always next year! I hope we will do a trip like this every year because it was so great to see the kids playing together. And not being guests in someone else’s home meant no stress for me about imposing. And not having to cook or clean up from meals was great for all of us. Of course, eating in public with three toddlers has its own stress — we broke quite a number of dishes, and our meals were certainly never relaxing — but it was a worthwhile tradeoff, overall. And the food was great.

I was really nervous about keto eating on vacation but it actually worked out great. There was always grilled fished and meat available on request, and guacamole at many meals — great for adding both fiber and fat with minimal carbs. 

I’ve given up on tracking because it makes me feel miserable and stressed to think about how much food I am “allowed.” I can’t believe that a computer can be smarter about what my body needs than listening to my body. 

Amazingly, it all seems to be working! Perhaps because I did a fifty-six hour fast after the stomach bug! I can’t wait to get home and weigh myself on my questionable scale but for now, I am looking at old photos of myself and comparing them to new ones and shaking my head in amazement. I keep looking at them over and over again because I just can’t believe it. I never ever thought I would get back to a place where I liked my body again. I’m so everlastingly grateful!

A few days ago, my thighs were looking wobbly. I thought that perhaps it was because I haven’t been working out. I never, ever miss my workouts like this but I didn’t have wireless (to stream my workouts) and then this week I would have had to workout in the bathroom during Amelie’s nap time to have a workout opportunity. Not only did that not appeal, Calliope was watching her shows in the bathroom then. So I’ve skipped.

So I was a little worried about the wobbly thighs and started doing a few squats but otherwise figured I would address it when we get home. But then the next day, I woke up and looked in the mirror and my thighs were noticeably smaller! And the wobble was much less.

I had a woosh! I’ve read about them but didn’t think it would happen to me. But basically, your body burns fat but fills the empty fat cells with water. But then after a few days more of ketosis, the fat cells empty and release the water. So there’s a sudden weight loss (and volume loss).
I never imagined my thighs would get smaller. It’s terribly exciting. I have a little gap between them when my legs are together now. I never thought that would happen for me again.

Another interesting thing is that when I have little tastes of non-veto things at night, not only are my ketones lower in the morning but I’m also more hungry and more desirous of carbs things. But when I stick to nuts at night, I’m not nearly as hungry in the morning. Better eating = less hunger certainly reinforces the keto habit! 


In one last bit of news, I just paid a chunk of money to participate in a four month training course to become a certified pediatric sleep consultant. I’m hoping to pair this training (and my considerable interest in sleep) with my pediatric NP background to forge a new career as a “digital nomad,” helping new families with sleep issues, regardless of their location or mine. If I can get this sorted plus be at my goal weight (not there yet but not too far off), I would be in heaven. Wish me luck!

Amelie adores her cousin
The whole family

No comments:

Post a Comment