Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Little Bit Uncomfortable and A Lot Restless, Anxious, Fidgety... and Tired (37w3d)

This post-37 weeks business is tough.

























I really shouldn't complain too much. It could be so much worse.

My ribs (right side only) are aching at the moment, so I've got my sleep bra pulled up to take the elastic off the sore spot... leaving me with protruding boobs while I type. This sore rib business is complicated because bras hurt... and not wearing a bra hurts, too, because then the weight of my breasts rests on the sore spot. I thought the problem was underwire for a while, but sometimes the underwire is better than the elastic of the sleep bra. Until I'm out relaxing with a friend somewhere, and find I have to pry a finger under the underwire and lever it up and away from my ribcage for a while.The only thing that doesn't ache is lying down. Not always practical.

Still, the pain isn't that bad. Just annoying. And it comes and goes.

I'm also just tired and cranky. I don't like it. I want my other personality back. Especially because I have no right to be cranky! I'm off of work, and just trying to cross things off my to do list. This is an extremely lucky situation to be in, and I know it. I am very grateful. So why do I feel so cross?

Yesterday I made a relatively brief trip to another part of Brooklyn to pick up an organic mattress pad for the crib... and then that was it. For hours. I was just exhausted. This is unacceptable. (I also did a 20 minute workout on the elliptical beforehand... with difficulty. Despite taking the day off from it the previous day.) And last night I was impatient with my friend's overtired, over-excited (from moving to a new apartment yesterday! a thing she is entitled to be excited about!) three year old. Not cool.

I'm having the occasional lower back twinge, and lots and lots of Braxton Hicks contractions, but other than that, no sign that labor is coming any time soon. My midwife pretty much laughed at how far off it was at our last visit... and didn't even want to see me back this week! I thought after 36 weeks one was seen weekly... but she said I didn't need to come in unless I became really uncomfortable.

I don't really want my Lentil to come yet. I'd like a little more time to get things done. And for her to get fully baked. I feel like before 39 weeks is not ideal for her. And yet, the one good thing about her coming sooner would be that then I could stop wondering about her arrival date. Not a good reason, but a real one, nonetheless.

Oh, and then I would know that my sister would definitely be able to be here. But both my sister and my midwife are away this weekend, taking their daughters to summer camp, so this weekend is definitely out.

... Okay, a workout was accomplished. Here's hoping for a better, more energetic day.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you're feeling better. I have to laugh when people say to women close to delivery "get your rest now because you won't be soon". Are they serious? Do they have any idea how hard it is to get rest at 36+ weeks????

    ReplyDelete