Thursday, April 5, 2012

Blessing Only Slightly in Disguise

Calliope had her first fever last week. The nanny called me at work to tell me, and also to share that Calliope was vomitting.

My very first, but undoubtedly not my last, sick-kid-call.

I panicked, just a little, called the pediatrician's office for an appointment later in the day, saw one final patient, and had my medical assistant clear the rest of my schedule. I threw the stack of charts in a drawer and hurriedly hailed a cab.

And got home to see my little girl, smiling wanly at me from the safety of Nastya's nap.

Before fussing just a little to get to me.

As soon as I saw her, my heart melted in relief.

Of course she was fine. A baby that is smiling might be sick, but not sick.

Just to verify, though... I broke my own rule and busted out the neonatal stethoscope and portable otoscope. Lungs were clear and ears looked good. Of course.

I cancelled the pediatrician's appointment and spent the afternoon cuddling that hot little body.

I was so grateful to be there.

What a gift, to be the blessed source of comfort for a little person all my own.

1 comment:

  1. Aw I hope Calliope is feeling better. What tugs your heart more than your sick little one finding comfort only in you.

    ReplyDelete