Monday, January 23, 2012

I Am A Total Goat




















There's an old timey expression from somewhere, I don't know, the Bible? Somewhere.

Anyway, it says, "that will separate the sheep from the goats."

I always loved this expression because I have no idea what it means. But my best friend and I decided that goat=awesome and sheep=totally uncool. Because I love goats -- so friendly and adventurous and fun and cute -- and sheep are, well, lame. They just stand there and baaaa.

Boring.

So today, I was a goat.

I ran home from work.

In the pouring rain.

It sucked in the first few moments but then it was mostly awesome. I was tired at the end, perhaps because I made the run 1-2 long blocks shorter than normal (baby steps!) but also, it seems like I am always tired at the end, no matter what.

Once I got home -- completely soaking wet -- I got an enthusiastic welcome from Calliope.

She was in the exe.rsaucer at the edge of the living room (where she could see the front door) with Nasstya sitting on the floor facing her, singing and holding Eleanor (Eleanor is definitely more needy than Calliope so I worry a little about my girl always being the one on the floor or in the "equipment" but I guess she's learning to be low maintenance? at least, I do know she gets tons of stories and singing and verbal attention).

Anyway, it took Calliope a minute to realize who I was, perhaps because I looked like a drowned rat? But then she clearly made the connection and started hooting and bouncing... and then uttering a few pathetic little cries because I didn't come right over and scoop her up (I was peeling off the wet shoes).

But it made me feel a little bit like a rock star, that she knew who I was and got excited. I guess this gets old, but I'm still sort of pleasantly surprised to realize that I'm her favorite person (me and my boobs). I get all modest and proverbially duck my head.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, there's nothing like a good run in the rain. I can never make myself do it on purpose, but when I get caught in the rain I always feel spectacular.

    I can't even imagine how much better ending a rain filled run with a happy baby face would be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I almost forgot - she's just precious! Love the picture and that beautiful little face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so adorable! I love the hat. And, it doesn't ever get old...well, at least 2+ years in it hasn't yet. Every time Tot sees me after a separation, he makes a beeline for me while yelling "MOMMY!" Awesome.

    ReplyDelete