Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sleep Training: Phase Two, Day Three

I nervously prepared my daughter's two and a half ounce bottle last night before bed, still worried I would be starving my child.

She first woke up about 3 am or so. But I remembered from my re-read of Twelve.Hours.By.Twelve.Weeks last night (it's surprisingly short on details, so I re-read it a lot, hoping to glean more wisdom from it) that she is not supposed to move her feeding earlier than it had been the previous night.

So I hopped out of bed and stuck the pacifier in her mouth and got back into bed. Silence prevailed.

The next time she woke me, about 3:30, I was ready to throw in the towel and just feed her. But then I observed that her eyes were still closed. So I tried replacing the pacifier again... and she went back to sleep. The same thing happened at 4 am.

Finally at 4:30 am I was tired of this [possible] torture of my [possibly] hungry child, so I got her up and gave her the bottle.

She finished the bottle with mere drops remaining, about a half a nipple full. But was asleep at that point. I probably could've eeked out a few more swallows from her if there was more milk remaining, but as it was, I didn't want to push it. So I ever so carefully put her back in the crib, not wanting her to wake up and realize she was still [possibly] hungry.

She went right to sleep with the pacifier. I hoped she wouldn't wake up an hour later, hungry.

Instead, I had to wake her when she was more than a half an hour late for her next feeding!

Yay.

So two more nights of the two and a half ounces. I don't know if I should hope she decreases on her own. If she does, I have to re-set and only offer that smaller amount from then on, which will make me nervous. But if she doesn't, then I have to decrease the amount for her in two more nights, and that will make me even more nervous.

1 comment:

  1. I really wish I had heard of this technique soon enough to use it...it sounds like it's working well.

    ReplyDelete