Monday, May 16, 2011

Baby Shower



I had my Baby Shower this past weekend.

It was a dream come true.


I'm not really down with traditional showers. For reasons I won't get into here, because I will surely offend someone. (Please note: to my friends, especially those who journeyed to my shower... I will gladly attend your showers! With joy and love. Seriously. Please don't not invite me because of this blog post!)

For me, I wanted something less present oriented and more... I wanted it to focus on the life transition I am making, and not on the stuff I will need for it. Because babies quickly outgrow rattles and cute onesies (and they are cute!) and teddy bears... but parenthood is forever.

Especially because of not having a wedding, I wanted something a bit ceremonial. Something to celebrate a life passage.

My shower was amazing because my sister created a Blessingway ceremony for me. A Blessingway is originally from a Navaho tradition. I don't remember the exact meaning of it, but basically, it's a way to celebrate, honor, and support the mother-to-be.

My sister had everyone bring a bead, and go around the circle telling a story about their bead. Afterwards, she strung them together to make a necklace on a silver chain. I am meant to wear the necklace during labor (to the extent that I want to) so that I will remember the love and support I felt.

She also had everyone bring a story, poem, or song to share.

Both things had me cry at times. It was all so beautiful and amazing and touching.

I feel so blessed.



Like I said, onesies are awfully cute.

3 comments:

  1. The Blessingway sounds wonderful! And you'll really cherish having the necklace during labor and delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great ceremony - celebrating the transition is such a wonderful idea. I am glad you had fun and hope it wasn't too chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day! The necklace is such a lovely idea for both the labor and to have whenever you need a little pick-up.

    ReplyDelete