Sunday, May 1, 2011

Beautiful Day



I set my alarm, and with moderate struggle, managed to get up pretty early this morning. Once I heaved my body out of bed, it was awesome to see the sun shining and know I had many hours of sunshine ahead of me.

Today's effort to promote happiness entailed scrapping all my household tasks (laundry, cleaning, etc.) and, after a lovely (and early!) trip to the farmer's market and food co-op, plus a little downtime to do some reading... a spontaneous trip to the Cherry Blossom Festival in Brooklyn's Botanic Gardens with my pregnant SMC friend Catherine.

We both opted to become members, for a mere $50 a year, instead of the $20 single entrance fee. So now I have one more fun outdoor thing to look forward to -- future outings to the Botanic Gardens!

The cherry blossoms were amazing. It was beautiful. I look forward to going back soon when it is a little less crowded. But it was lovely. We sat under a tree and watched people go by and Catherine flirted with the toddler sitting nearby. It was great.

And it's always fun to hang out with other pregnant women... we laughed today to discover that we both ogle other people's strollers (not their kids or their dogs, necessarily... just their gear), and we can share our pregnancy complaints. And the difficulty of getting up from sitting on the grass. Though talking to someone who is five weeks ahead of me is a little hard, too, because then I start worrying about the things I have to look forward to (like not sleeping well) while simultaneously feeling like the less gifted younger sibling because I have longer to go than she does. I imagine that will be really tough when she is no longer pregnant and I still have a ways to go. Oh well! It's still great.

1 comment:

  1. HA! I have been checking out strollers for ages now!! I thought I was the only one.

    ReplyDelete